We’ve been to the vet this morning with both Lenny and Albert.
First up Albert – Albert is our little old boy and he will be 14 years old “and the rest” as the vet calls him as we have little idea how old he really is.
We found him back in November 2012 and at that point the vet said that he was at least 10 years old.
He is Leishmania positive and he has bone atrophy in his wrist now and his hip is also giving him problems but this is just old age and we keep him comfortable and try to prevent him from leaping from the sofa on to the tiled floor while believing he is a Rottweiler!
Our concern has been that his one good leg has developed lesions, on his paw, his knee-joint and near his bottom and they do not want to heal up.
We have a course of antibiotics for a week and then if no improvement we’ll have to go back up.
Lenny has been the big point of discussion this morning.
On Tuesday he had a really bad tooth abscess again, his teeth have always been a massive problem, and our vets first thought was that we are now going to have no alternative but to extract all of his molar teeth.
We said last time he had an extraction (he had three teeth removed that time) that we wouldn’t put him through any more surgeries, but when you see his tail wagging so vigorously it is difficult to follow through with that.
Removing the teeth will allow the release of the massive infection he has in his gums, BUT there is a complication in that Lenny appears to have a growth on his lower jaw. The extraction may not actually result in any reduced infection because the cause of the infection may be the jaw growth.
The lumps on his head have now gone down significantly and there was very clearly a massive infection there but the problem there also is that the bone is misshapen and the suggestion is there may still be something else underlying the infection in that area.
Because of this, and for now, we have decided to put off the final extractions while our vet speaks to a colleague to get a second opinion. IF the opinion is that the extraction can help Lenny then we will go ahead, if not then we will continue as we are and we will not go down the surgery route again but hope to keep Lenny happy and comfortable and keep his tail wagging.
On a happy note Lenny appears to have hairs growing on his nose! Where these have sprouted from I don’t know but maybe it is a sign that there is a little improvement in his little body.
Lisa’s results were in from the neurotoxicity tests and all were negative. Irrespective of the shadow on her spleen he feels that she may have a herniated disc and it is for this reason we are looking to send her for an MRI. She is much happier currently but she is on Metacam so we have decided to continue with the Metacam for another week. If she returns to her bright self then we will wait before doing the MRI and see if the problem has resolved itself but if not then we will send her up for the scan.
Dogs! Who’d av em?